Wednesday, July 28, 2010

An easy ride to Charles City

After a tough start packing up a wet tent, the morning went fine. Partly cloudy and a little cooler, it was great weather for a ride. Had a few more hills than yesterday, but it was still pretty fun and fairly easy. I managed to slow myself down a bit to enjoy it all, so I spent a lot of time today going along at 15-18 MPH, and stopping to enjoy the food and sights. Had a great breakfast pancake meal at a Chris Cakes location along the route.Later, a good Grilled Chicken and Sweet Corn Lunch in Rockford.Many of the cities today really did the festival atmosphere up well, and I still made pretty good progress up to Rockford, where I enjoyed the music they had going. The last 14 miles into Charles City went fairly quickly, but turned into almost 18 before I made it to camp on the "far side" of Charles City. The Elders performed evening music again, and they are on great band. They play an irish rock music and put on a great show, making everybody want to get up and dance. We had them for two nights this week, and I could have handled more. Got their live CD, so I'll enjoy that on the way back home.
I settled into the tent for a good night, and it once again got cold. Really, uncomfortably cold. I put on several layers of clothes and did my best to keep warm, but I really need to have a blanket along. I'll try to pick one up along the road on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just to keep the riff-raff and spammers out, I'm currently moderating all comment posts. I'd love to hear your legitimate comments of any kind, and they should appear within a few days.